2016/10/12

Incongruous Autodidact

There was a hard, gray crack on the wall. There were spiders coming out of the crack and there was food on the kitchen table that my stepmother had made. It was alright food, but neither she, nor my father were decent people. He had a wretched life doing menial labor for the government, and she was a boring person who did nothing but watch TV all day, and had no interest in me or my sister. We were nothing to her, and as such we were treated as nothing. We were fed on a regular basis, but were not treated as her children. That was fine. We did not treat her as a stepmother. We treated her as though she was nothing.

I remember one very specific time. I was about 13, a boy, with the thoughts a boy has, mostly of sex, but also of video games, as they come. It was one night, before the rise of the internet, when there was a sexy TV show playing. There were two TVs in the house. One in the “master” bedroom, and one in the living room. She would not go to her husband in their bedroom, with their own TV, to leave me to my devices in the living room. I became angry, as boys are wont to do, and yelled at her. I yelled because I wanted my privacy, and they would not allow me to have a TV in my own room. It seems such a petty thing now, with WiFi all around, and individual smartphones ubiquitous, but as things were, I was attempting to assert my sexual independence and was continually being rebuffed for these attempts. This is how it was.

I was in an English class during middle school. I remember never doing any of the homework assignments. Homework was an irreducible bore. I never got into it, and don't think it did me any sort of harm. The lady who taught the class, she spoke fluent Spanish, and we had to read a story about a young girl who crosses the border into America to find a better life for her and her sister. It was a good book, as they go. It was during this time that I started keeping a binder of completely meaningless words. I think this was a response to once having seen my father destroy every single school paper I had ever written during elementary school.

I was in his bedroom, doing something that I can't recall. He had a box in his closet that contained all of my papers from school. He might have been proud of me. There was no way to tell as he never told me if he was or not. He took the box out, and started throwing away all the papers. This might have been just before we moved from one house to another, because of one of his wives wanting to move. It was a terrible experience, watching your whole life being thrown away like that. I never did any homework after that, and attempted to do as little paperwork as possible after that. If my father had no respect for my work, why would I have any respect for it?

When my grandmother lived with us, I was made to sleep on the couch. This lasted until I was in the 6th grade. I had to sleep on a couch, without a room of my own, almost as if the needs of my grandmother and father were more important than my own. That is why they don't receive any phone calls from me, and never will.

My father was a terrible man, exploding in anger over absolutely nothing, with no way to tell if he was going to be in a good mood or a bad mood, and he drank frequently.

He is no longer a part of my life, as it should be.